TMJ is a chronic condition that can negatively affect the quality of a patients life. Many times TMJ goes undiagnosed and untreated leaving the teeth susceptible to becoming broken or excessively worn down. Our Northern Virginia dental team lead by Dr. Datta Malyavantham and his associates offers comprehensive TMJ analysis and treatment at both our Sterling, VA and Reston, VA dentist offices.
What are the signs & symptoms of TMJ?
- Neck, shoulder and back pain
- Clicking and popping, or pain while eating
- Jaw locking (both open and close)
- Jaw clenching and teeth grinding (day or night)
- Sensitive teeth
- Unexplained broken fillings or crowns
- Chipped, worn or flattened teeth
- Teeth shifting out of position
What are the causes of TMJ?
While there is no one size fits all cause for TMJ, there are some common causes dentist see that create pain or tension in the jaw.
- Malocclusion (misaligned bite)
- Arthritis or other disease related joint tissue degeneration
- Teeth grinding
- Jaw clenching
How do I treat TMJ?
Treatment for TMJ will depend on the cause, severity and oral health of the individual patient. Dr. Datta Malyavantham or his associates will work with each patient to build a personalized treatment plan that twill addresses the cause and symptoms and side effects of TMJ. The goal of the treatment plan will be to correct the root problem while restoring the oral health.
- Mouthguard/Splint therapy: An oral sleep appliance is much like a mouthguard. Worn at night, the mouthguard can reposition the jaw to prevent grinding or clenching and to protect the teeth from further damage.
- Restorative Dentistry: TMJ can cause damage to the teeth and gums. Dr. Datta may recommend additional treatments to restore the oral health. Some restorative procedures may also be able to correct minor bite problems.
- Orthodontics: Dr. Datta is a Northern VA Invisalign® provider and may recommend Invisalign to correct a misaligned bite or crooked teeth that are causing jaw pain.
Schedule A Consultation
If you are suffering from TMJ disorder, schedule a consultation with us in one of our convenient Northern Virginia office locations. Dr. Datta or an associate will provide a thorough evaluation of your bite function and overall dental health condition. To schedule your appointment, request an appointment online or call one of our two Northern VA office locations:
Sterling: (703) 520-7410
Reston: (571) 313-7010