Dental fear is a common occurrence, and the team at Ridgetop Dental understands that there are some patients who have difficulty visiting the dentist’s office. Every patient is unique and deserves personalized dental treatment. No matter the source of your dental fear, whether from fear of losing control, fear of drills or needles, or from a previous bad experience, our team will work with you to make you comfortable.
In this post, we will discuss some tips to help patients with dental fear and anxiety get the care they need. Next time you visit the dentist, try to consider these key tips.
Overcoming Dental Fear
- Ask questions. If you’re uneasy about not knowing what to expect, or whether something is going to hurt, don’t be afraid to ask your dentist to explain the procedure to you. As you learn more about your treatment, you might begin to feel more comfortable.
- Bring someone you trust with you to your appointment. Having someone familiar to you nearby can help, and they can also ask questions on your behalf or distract you.
- Practice deep breathing techniques. This can help both relax you before, during, and after your appointment. Just a few minutes of breathing slowly and deeply floods your body with oxygen and makes you feel less anxious.
- Keep yourself distracted during office visits. Many dentists allow you to listen to music or an audiobook during your treatment, especially if you have a routine procedure like a cleaning or filling.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for breaks. If you feel overwhelmed or uncomfortable, ask the dentist to take a break. This happens more often than you think, so don’t worry about asking for a pause.
Visit Our Virginia Dental Office
Northern Virginia dentist Dr. Datta leads a team of compassionate, experienced professionals who are dedicated to helping you achieve a healthier smile. If you suffer from dental fear, consider visiting Ridgetop Dental. To schedule an appointment, call or request an appointment online.