If your gummy smile is making you feel self-conscious about your smile, it may be time to explore your treatment options. Our team at Ridgetop Dental in Sterling, VA offers a full range of treatments to address a gummy smile.
There are many reasons why a patient may decide to address a gummy smile. One of the most common reasons is to improve the appearance of their smile. Identifying the underlying cause of your gummy smile is key to finding the right solution.
What is A Gummy Smile?
In many cases, a gummy smile is purely a cosmetic issue. You may notice the appearance of a gummy smile when there is an excess of gum tissue, which may make your teeth look uneven, small, or short in comparison. Patients with gummy smiles can often feel self-conscious in social situations. At Ridgetop Dental, we believe that every patient should smile confidently.
It is important to establish your ideal smile and cosmetic goals, so our dentists can recommend the appropriate treatment to help you achieve it. Although there is not a proper ratio for teeth to gum tissue, our team can work with you to find that balance and restore symmetry to your smile.
What Causes A Gummy Smile?
Many factors can influence a gummy smile. For instance, a gummy smile may be the result of one or more of the following factors:
- The teeth erupted abnormally
- The upper or lower jaw development
- Worn teeth
- The upper lip may be hyperactive and recede when smiling, laughing, or speaking
The type of treatment you receive will depend on the cause of your gummy smile. At Ridgetop Dental, our cosmetic dentists can evaluate your smile and recommend the ideal solution for you. Treating a gummy smile can help restore your confidence and give you a smile you’ve always wanted.
How To Treat A Gummy Smile
If you are displeased with the appearance of your smile, we offer a full range of treatment options to correct a gummy smile. Finding the best solution for your smile will require a one on one consultation with one of our dentists. During the consultation, we will evaluate your smile, discuss your dental goals and concerns, and discuss all available treatment options.
Before any cosmetic treatment, it is important to establish that there are not any underlying function problems with your jaw or bite. Our team will evaluate your bite and dental function to rule out any possible issues.
Explore your treatment options for a gummy smile:
- Gum Lift: We offer traditional gum lift surgery and gum lift with laser dentistry. Both options provide natural looking, long lasting results. Whenever applicable, we may recommend using dental lasers to aid in your gum lift procedure. Dental lasers allow our team to remove excess gum tissue with great accuracy and precision. They also enable the body’s natural healing response, eliminate the need for sutures, and reduce bleeding after treatment.
- Gum Contouring: Gum contouring treatment is the reshaping of the gum tissue to enhance the appearance of the teeth. At Ridgetop Dental, we use advanced laser dentistry to reduce excess gum tissue. Gum contouring is a safe and effective way to restore balance to the gum line while preserving the health of your natural teeth.
- Crown Lengthening: Crown lengthening is the removal of gum tissue around the base of the tooth to reveal more of the natural tooth structure. This treatment can eliminate a gummy smile and restore your smile’s natural beauty.
Schedule A Cosmetic Consultation
Our dental team at Ridgetop Dental is committed to helping you address your cosmetic goals. Our advanced training and experience make us the ideal partners in your cosmetic or smile makeover journey. Visit our Sterling, VA dentist office to explore your treatment options for a gummy smile. Contact our office to schedule your appointment today.