The health and appearance of your gums are essential to the beauty of your smile. If the gums appear too long, too sort, or uneven, it can impact the appearance of your smile. There are two main ways the contour of the gum line are impacted: gum recession and excess gum tissue (gummy smile).
Gum Recession: Gum recession is a symptom of advanced-stage gum disease. When the gums are inflamed and irritated, they begin to pull away from the teeth. If gum disease is left untreated, you may notice your teeth appear longer as a result of gum recession. Treating gum recession is not only crucial to the aesthetic of your smile, but it is also crucial to your dental health. Once the gum tissue recedes, it cannot be restored naturally. Intervention from a highly skilled dentist is the only way to restore receding gums.
Gum grafting is a standard treatment option for receding gums.
For gum graft surgery, your dentist may take tissue from the roof of the mouth or another area in the mouth to reattach at the recession site, as seen here.
Gummy Smile: A gummy smile is a cosmetic concern and is caused by many factors. One of the most common reasons for a gummy smile is excess gum tissue. If you are unsatisfied with the appearance of your smile, we may recommend a gum lift to eliminate excess gum tissue and restore beauty to your smile.
At Ridgetop Dental, we offer comprehensive solutions for patients with gummy smiles and gum recession. The type of treatment you receive will depend on the underlying cause of your dental concern. Visit our Sterling, VA dentist office to learn more about your treatment options for gum recession and a gummy smile.
Benefits of Gum Contouring
Gum contouring can restore balance and beauty to your smile. Patients can look forward to these key benefits:
- Improved Dental Health: A gummy smile can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Contouring the gum line can help restore balance to your smile and makes it easier to clean the gum line.
- Effective Treatment For A Gummy Smile: Gum contouring can effectively eliminate excess gum tissue, which helps bring balance to the teeth. Cosmetic gum contouring can helo address gum imperfections and create a more attractive smile.
- Can Help Create A More Even Gum Line: For patients with uneven or jagged gum lines, gum contouring can be done to create a more even gum line.
- Improved Your Self-Confidence: Achieving your ideal smile can help improve your confidence. Our team can help you achieve your cosmetic goals.
Laser Dentistry For Gum Contouring
Traditional gum contouring is performed with a scalpel and other dental tools. Thanks to advancements in modern dentistry, the gum contouring procedure is now performed with laser dentistry. Laser dentistry allows our team to perform gum counting with greater accuracy and precision.
Laser gum contouring uses advanced dental technology to improve the patient experience and achieve long-lasting, natural-looking results. Many patients can look forward to these benefits with laser dentistry.
- Faster Recovery: Dental laser seal as they go, which eliminates the need to sutures after treatment.
- Minimal Bleeding: Dental lasers simultaneously cauterize gum tissues as they go, which means patients will experience very minimal bleeding.
- Enhanced Accuracy: Handheld dental lasers allow our team to precisely contour the gum line and minimize the chance of error.
Laser gum contouring is a minimally invasive, effective way to manipulate the gum line. Our team at Ridgetop Dental can work with you to determine if laser dentistry is right for you.
With advancements in modern dentistry, there is now a wider range of treatment options available for patients with a gummy smile. While there are many surgical treatment options for a gummy smile, we also offer laser gum lifting treatment. A laser gum lift can gently remove excess gum tissue to create a more symmetrical smile.
You may be an ideal candidate for laser gum lift if one or more of the following factors apply:
- Your gum line is uneven
- Your teeth look tooth short
- You show a lot of gum when you smile or laugh
Laser gum lifts are an effective, quick way to eliminate excess gum tissue. Patients can receive the treatment they need with minimal discomfort, less bleeding and faster recovery. To ensure a comfortable treatment, we will numb the gums with a local anesthetic, and then carefully remove excess gum tissue with a high powered dental laser.
Our goal is to create a more balanced and symmetrical smile. Patients can look forward to achieving the smile of their dreams with laser dentistry. Laser dentistry adds a more considerable amount of precision, comfort, and accuracy to any cosmetic treatment.